Want a different camping experience? Ever wonder what it is like to sleep on a real submarine?
Try our Overnight Encampment Program!
Become an Honorary "Crew Member" for the Night. Spend the night aboard one of USS SILVERSIDES Submarine Museum's historic vessels and watch history come alive. Walk the decks, take command of the bridge and sleep in the berths where brave men once served our country. Truly an unforgettable experience for any group, the overnight encampment program is well suited for scouting and youth groups as well as family or adults-only events.
Overnight Encampment Information
- Overnight Encampments aboard USS Silversides and USCGC McLane are open to anyone over the age of 5.
- USS Silversides can accommodate up to 72 overnight participants!
- The USCGC McLane can hold an additional 38!
- Fold-out cots on both vessels can even accommodate a couple extra participants!
- We take reservations throughout the year for school groups, scouting groups, families, youth groups, church groups, reunions, birthday parties, and more! Call today!
Overnight Encampment Program Pricing
||Weekends: Friday – Sunday
||Weekdays: Monday – Thursday
||Pricing is per person and does not include meals.
How to Book an Overnight Encampment
- To make a reservation or to inquire about date availability, call Teresa at (231) 755-1230 ext. 225 between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm Monday through Friday.
- Please note that availability for Overnight Encampments can change on a daily basis. We cannot hold dates without an actual reservation.
- A $200.00 non-refundable, non-transferable deposit is due within 10 days of booking your reservation. VISA, MASTERCARD, and DISCOVER cards are accepted.
You can also send a check or money order to:
USS SILVERSIDES Submarine Museum
PO Box 1692
Muskegon, Michigan 49443
- The total number of participants in your group must be finalized 60 days prior to the date of your actual stay. You can add extra participants after this date if availability remains. You must call in advance of your stay to add extra participants in order to ensure that enough space remains aboard the vessels.
- The final deposit for your Overnight Encampment is due 60 days prior to the date of your actual stay. The final deposit is comprised of the total number of participants multiplied by the overnight rate less your $200 deposit. There are no refunds for “no shows.”
- If there are no other visitors staying aboard the vessels, you must have a minimum of 20 participants. If the museum already has a total of 20 or more overnight guests reserved, you will not be required to have a minimum number of participants.
- The USS SILVERSIDES Submarine Museum reserves the right to reschedule or cancel your overnight stay if the total amount due is not received 60 days prior to the date of your stay. Please call our Overnight Coordinator in advance of your deadline if you cannot meet these requirements.
- When contacting the museum, it is helpful to reference the date of your encampment, Pack, Troop, Group or Family name, and contact person. Please do not assume that museum staff will remember the details of previous conversations. Reply to e-mails rather than compose new ones. This will make it easier for staff to refer to past conversations.
- Please note that Overnight Encampments are available any night throughout the year with the exception of New Years, New Year’s Day, Easter Eve, Easter, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Eve, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
1. Overnight Encampment Program Rules and Guidelines (pdf)
2. Overnight Encampment Program Timeline (pdf)
3. What To Bring and What Not to Bring (pdf)
1. Release and Hold Harmless Agreement (pdf)
2. Medical Condition Form (pdf)
3. Crew Roster (pdf)
Enhance your Overnight Experience - Design and Build a Remotely Operated Underwater Vehicle!
Interested in designing and building a remotely operated underwater robotic vehicle as part of your Overnight experience? The USS SILVERSIDES Submarine Museum offers discounts to Overnight Encampment Groups for the museum’s Underwater Technology classes! The basic Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) class takes as little as two hours!
Participants will explore concepts like buoyancy as they work in teams to design and build a working ROV! Once constructed, guests will place their ROVs in large water tanks and maneuver them via remote control. Your ROVs will be able to move forward and back, make left and right turns, and dive and surface just like a real submarine!
Overnight guests can choose to build ROVs on the evening of your arrival (from 4pm – 6pm) or in the morning before you depart (from 9am – 11am). ROV classes are great fun for Overnight campers of any age or background! Please click here for more information on this exciting opportunity.
NOTE: GROUPS WANTING TO BUILD ROVS MUST PRE-REGISTER AND PRE-PAY PRIOR TO THE DATE OF YOUR STAY.